Practice Based Pharmacists
DHSSPS has agreed that Practice Based Pharmacists will be placed within each GP practice in NI via a sub-contract arrangement with GP Federations.
Practice Based Pharmacists (PBPs) will work as a team across all practices within each GP Federation. The PBPs will deliver direct patient care within parameters defined by their job descriptions and the individual practice within which they work.
They will work with the wider practice team to improve the safety and quality of prescribing by focusing on the following areas:
- management of prescribing systems within the GP practice
- outcome focused face to face medication review
- medicines reconciliation as patients transition from care settings
- NI Formulary implementation, in particular to improve antimicrobial prescribing
- reduce prescribing expenditure
- reduce variation in prescribing practice
Through case discussions, team members will develop a greater awareness of the knowledge, skills and experience that exists within the team. It is hoped that the medical and nursing participants in the hub and spokes will also learn from the pharmaceutical expertise of the PBPs and this in turn will lead to safer and more rational prescribing by other healthcare professionals.